New Zealanders value the reliability and universality of the ACC system and UnitedFuture is committed to the maintenance of this system.
It is UnitedFuture policy to:
- support the continuation of the ‘no-fault’ regime and mandatory workplace accident insurance, but support competition in the provision of accident compensation services;
- continue ACC’s focus on injury prevention;
- discount employer levies for those who undertake workplace safety regimes, and give more responsibility to industry sector groups to ensure safe practices;
- ensure that ACC genuinely attempts to rehabilitate long-term claimants before they exit the scheme;
- establish a truly independent committee to review appeals against ACC decisions. This committee would also have the power to make recommendations to the government on potential changes to ACC legislation should it find flaws that regularly lead to unfair decisions;