Local News from Peter Dunne
Welcome to this Ohariu page, designed to keep you in touch with UnitedFuture activities in Ohariu.
Each month I will update the local activities I have been involved in that month, as well as commenting on some of the issues making news in our community.
If you would like more information about UnitedFuture activities in Ohariu, please contact me and I will be pleased to let you know what is happening, and would welcome your involvement.
Get in touch with Peter via Facebook or Twitter. Or simply drop in to one of the electorate offices.
Malvina Major issue
I have been concerned about the situation at Malvina Major Retirement Village in my electorate following the recently reported case. I have met the daughter of the woman at the centre of the case, and today, following the report of the Ministry of Health’s audit, asked this question of the Associate Minister of Health http://j.mp/174phfC
Recent local activities
Have held electorate clinics in Johnsonville, Maungaraki, Newlands and Tawa.
· Presided over presentation of 2012 Northern Wellington Volunteer Service Awards.
· Chaired meetings of Northern Wellington Festival Committee.
· Attended Redwood School Garage Sale; participated (unsuccessfully this year) in Challenge 2000’s annual quiz evening.
· Spoke at opening of New World supermarket in Newlands; met with St John’s Ambulance in Johnsonville; and met with Wellington North NZEI members.
· Collected for Samaritans in Johnsonville and Stroke Foundation in Khandallah.
· Attended Tawa’s “Spring Into Tawa” day; and opening night of Khandallah Arts Theatre’s production of ‘The Mousetrap”.
· Hosted Hutt Independent School’s visit to Parliament; attended Tawa College’s Annual Production; attended Tawa Schools’ music Festival; and Newlands Intermediate’s end of term celebration evening.
· Attended Newlands Volunteer Fire Brigade’s Honours Evening; and opening day of Johnsonville Bowling Club’s season.
· Spoke at Johnsonville RSA’s unveiling of commemorative plaque for Lance Corporal Leon Smith (killed in Afghanistan last year).
· Attended AGM of Ngaio and Crofton Downs Residents Association.
· Addressed Petone Rotary Club.
If you would like me to attend your meetings please contact my local electorate office.
Here is a list of my local activities over the last month:
- Held constituency clinics in Johnsonville, Maungaraki, Newlands, and Tawa
- Chaired meetings of the Northern Wellington Festival Committee & North Wellington Volunteer Services Committee
- Opened Cancer Society’s Art Exhibition at the Ngaio Gallery
- Met with principals of Raroa intermediate, Newlands Intermediate and Khandallah Schools
- Attended Community Brunch at Maungaraki Baptist Church
- Met with Hutt Radio
Over the last few weeks I have:
- Attended the AGMs of the Onslow Historical Society, the Johnsonville & Districts RSA, and the Johnsonville Bowling Club
- Attend the Opening Night of the New Players latest production, and Newlands College’s musical
- Held electorate clinics in Maungaraki, Johnsonville, Newlands
- Conducted my weekly talkback show on Newlands’ OneEyed FM radio station
- Visited Tawa Intermediate School
- Co-adjudicated the Johnsonville Lions’ annual debate between Newlands & Onslow Colleges
- Visited the KidsGames After School Programme in Tawa
- Collected for the Wellington City mission in Johnsonville
- Attended the farewell for the former heard teacher at Brian Webb Kindergarten, Tawa
- Addressed Clubs New Zealand’s lower North Island regional meeting in Johnsonville
- Been guest speaker at Newlands’ Nga Hau Wha O Papaparangi Marae Matariki event
- Attended the Tawa Community Civic Awards Presentation evening
Here are some of the events I have attended recently:
Visiting the new Amesbury School in Churton Park, and subsequently attending its official opening and the opening of its Community Hall; and the opening of Khandallah School’s refurbished swimming pool;
· Holding individual meetings with the principals of Onslow College, Newlands Intermediate, Maungaraki, Bellevue, Paparangi and Crofton Downs Schools;
· Holding electorate clinics in Newlands, Tawa, Maungaraki and Johnsonville on a four weekly basis;
· Making volunteer service awards to the Tawa Volunteer Fire Brigade;
· Chairing meetings of the Northern Wellington Volunteer Service Awards Committee;
· Accompanying the Prime Minister at the opening of the new Breast Clinic at Bowen Hospital;
· Attending the Tawa College, Ngaio, Cashmere Avenue School, and Tawa Central Kindergarten Galas;
· Attending the AGM of the Churton Park Community Association and meeting with representatives of the Newlands Paparangi Progressive Association;
· Riding on the inaugural Matangi train to Johnsonville;
· Attending the Centennial Concert at the Khandallah Town Hall, Khandallah Arts Theatre’s latest production, and Maungaraki School’s Celebrity Cookbook launch;
· Visiting the House of Grace home for young mothers in Newlands;
· Working as a member of the Johnsonville RSA Welfare Trust;
· Hosting regular Saturday morning talk-back sessions on Newlands Radio OneEyed FM.
View the archive