Our future is about creating hope
December 24 12:00 PM
AUTHOR: Robin Gunston
Hope is not something that normally pervades the political mindset in the course of a Parliamentary year in its widest context.. but some time away from the bear pit that is the Chamber could well have the added benefit of some reflection on whether as politicians and parties we have created some improved Hope for our constituency?
To those begging from us just below here on Lambton Quay- has anything created a greater assurance they will find a meal tonight, or somewhere to have long term accomodation? Answer - No
For those still in substandard homes in Christchurch 2 years on from their damage what sort of hope do they have of getting their claim settled and repairs undertaken? Answer - None at all
For those who have moved to our biggest city to try and find a better future and some work for their family members will the chances improve next year of finding an affordable home to buy or rent? Answer- not much hope at all
For the person who has started a new business this year and expected to have a stable exchange rate that permitted his or her goods or services to be sold on overseas markets what hope is there for the long term of this occurring? Answer - depends who you ask!
So what can we hope for with some sense of reality in 2013 onwards that will make NZ the best place in the world to bring up a family?
Here is a Liberal democratic hope list:
- We hope that we can gradually take more control from the state and give it back to the people who best know what should be done through building greater community resilience and engagement
- We hope that we can stop the prejudices that set people against each other in our country and find common ground on strategic issues like affordable housing, minimum family incomes, stable currency etc
- We hope that we can make healthcare for all more affordable and that vulnerable groups of people will be properly catered for in the health system
- We hope that more people will take an interest in making their communities safer by being active in civic society organisations that make a difference
- We hope that we can find a way for everyone to save for their future and know that they will have a liveable pension when they decide to retire
What gives us this confidence to have this hope- well we have been around Government for many years now and our influence is gradually, bit by bit edging us towards this hope list.
We hope you will join us in this quest and turn idealistic hope into reality. Please Join Us today.