UnitedFuture believes that a number of simple measures can make a big impact on the unacceptably high road toll in New Zealand. We aim to institute a licensing regime that will help young drivers gain more experience, while also making sure that dangerous drivers face tough penalties in line with the irresponsibility of their actions.
It is UnitedFuture policy to:
- legislate for compulsory third party insurance
- maintain age by which someone may obtain a learner drivers licence at 16.
- implement driver education in schools.
- institute a compulsory practical defensive driving course into the driver licensing system.
- Support a zero blood alcohol limit for drivers under the age of 20
- toughen penalties for driving while disqualified or without a licence, alcohol or drug-impaired driving, and driving at excessive speeds
- promote the use of technology to generate a rapid response to accident investigations and to help minimise congestion.
- support the labelling of cars for sale to denote their safety ratings.